Tofu and vegetable cooked with the tamarind sauce makes a very unique flavorful dish. This Sweet and Sour Tofu dish is vegan-friendly and it is enjoyable for just about anyone’s taste palette.
Recipe will serve 2 to 3.
- ½ of 14 oz package of firm tofu
- 1 large red bell pepper
- Approx. 3 cups sliced cabbage (¼ of medium cabbage)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- Approx. 1-1/2 oz of seedless tamarind, available in Indian and Asian grocery stores
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin seeds powder (jeera)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded ginger
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Soak tamarind in 1/4 cup of warm water for 15 minutes. Squeeze the tamarind mixture well, then discard tamarind pieces leaving a nice thick pulp.
- Add the remaining sauce ingredients to the tamarind pulp mix well and set aside.
- Squeeze the Tofu gently keeping between your both palm.
- Cut tofu into ¾ inch thick slices then and pat dry between paper towels. Then cut slices into ¾ inch cubes.
- Remove seeds from bell pepper and slice 1/4 inch thick lengthwise.
- Heat oil in a wide pan over medium heat. Stir fry tofu pieces until golden brown in color, approximately 2-3 minutes. Remove from pan and place on a paper towel.
- In the remaining oil, first stir-fry bell pepper for a minute and add cabbage continue to stir fry for approx. 2 more minutes over medium heat. Vegetables should still be crunchy.
- Add tofu and tamarind sauce to the vegetables in the pan, stir well and let simmer over low heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Sweet and Sour Tofu tastes great served over plain rice.
- Offer to Krishna!
source: Manjula’s kitchen