Prabhupada: So-called gurus, they are so-called gurus. They are not gurus. That is already explained. If one does not speak what Krsna speaks, he is not guru. If you accept so-called guru, that is your misfortune. What can be done?
Pusta Krsna: Some of them will say some things that Krsna says, but they’ll take from other places also. What is the position of such persons?
Prabhupada: He’s MOST DANGEROUS. He’s MOST DANGEROUS. He is OPPORTUNIST. HE’S FINDING OUT CUSTOMER, SOMETHING HERE… ACCORDING TO THE CUSTOMER HE IS GIVING SOMETHING, AS THE CUSTOMERS WILL BE PLEASED. SO HE IS NOT GURU. He’s a servant. He wants to serve the so-called disciples so that he may be satisfied and pay him something. He’s servant. He’s not guru. Guru is the master. You cannot disobey guru. But if you become a servant, you want to please the disciple by flattering him to get his money, then you are not guru, you are servant. Just like a servant pleases the master. He’s not guru. He’s servant. So our position should be servant, yes, but servant of the Supreme. So guru means heavy. You cannot utilize him for satisfying your whims. That is not guru.
Prabhupada: People complained against [a GBC for trying to appear as a guru]. …You become guru, but you must be QUALIFIED FIRST of all. THEN you become. …What is the use of producing some RASCAL GURU?
Tamala Krishna: Well, I have studied myself and all of your disciples, and it’s clear fact that we are ALL CONDITIONED SOULS, so we CANNOT BE gurus. MAYBE someday it may be possible….
Prabhupada: Hm. [agrees]
Tamala Krishna: …but not now.
Prabhupada: Yes. I shall produce some gurus. I shall say who is guru, ‘No you become acharya. You become authorized.’ I retire completely. But the training must be COMPLETE.
Tamala Krishna: The process of purification must be there. …No rubber stamp.
Prabhupada: You can cheat, but it will not be effective. Just see our Gaudiya Matha. Everyone wanted to be guru. A small temple and “guru.” What kind of guru?
Srila Prabhupada: We haven’t got to manufacture. To manufacture ideas is troublesome. Why should we take the trouble? And as soon as you want to manufacture something to my…., that is DANGEROUS. …That you are singing every day, “what our guru has said, that is our life and soul.” …As soon as this POISON will come-suppress guru and I become Brahman-everything FINISHED. Spiritual life is finished. Gaudiya Matha finished, …VIOLATED the orders of Guru Maharaja.
…And as soon as you manufacture, fall down. This manufacturing idea is very, very dangerous in spiritual life. …Our mission is to serve bhakta visesa and live with devotees. NOT THAT YOU TAKE THE PLACE OF GURU. THAT IS NONSENSE, VERY DANGEROUS. Then everything will be spoiled. As soon as you become AMBITIOUS to TAKE THE PLACE of GURU-gurusuh nara matih. That is MATERIAL DISEASE.
Srila Prabhupada: Don’t be allured by cheap disciples. Go on steadfastly to render service first. If you immediately become guru, then the service activities will be stopped; and as there are so many cheap gurus and cheap disciples, without any substantial knowledge, and manufacturing new sampradayas, and with service activities stopped, and all spiritual progress choked up. (SPL (VI 1987) 68.8.17)
KILL GURU AND BECOME GURU
Srila Prabhupada: “I am practically seeing that as soon as they, our students, begin to learn a little Sanskrit, they immediately feel they have become more than their guru. Then the policy is to kill their guru and become guru themselves”. “As soon as he learns that Guru Maharaj is dead, now I am so advanced I can kill guru and become guru. Then he is finished.” (Srila Prabhupada 1976).
Srila Prabhupada: “This is the function of the GBC, to see that one may not be taken away by maya. The GBC should all be the instructor gurus. I am the initiator guru, and you should be the instructor guru by teaching what I am teaching and doing what I am doing. This is not a title, but you must actually come to this platform. This is what I want.” (to Madhudvisa 4 Aug, 1975)
PRABHUPADA: THE RASCALS ARE READY TO CHECK THIS MOVEMENT
So this movement is so important. Somehow or other if you can engage them in chanting and dancing, the whole world will be united. What the United Nations has failed, this movement can do–if it is not checked by the rascals. But the rascals are ready to check this movement. That is the difficulty. Otherwise, God, Krsna, is always ready to help us. (Srimad-Bhagavatam 3.26.18 Bombay, December 27, 1974)
The whole situation has been spoiled by these so-called rascal gurus who gives his own opinion. This is our plain declaration: Let any rascal guru come. We can convince him that he is not guru, because he is speaking differently….So guru is one. Guru cannot be two. As soon as you find two opinions of guru, either both of them are rascals, or one is still at least rascal. (Lecture: What is a Guru? London, August 22, 1973)
Many times they give me very great credit that I have done wonderful. Yes, I have done wonderful. But what is the reason? Because I am not a rascal. I speak what Krsna has spoken. That’s all. Very easy. Everyone can do that. Not only I. Any of you, you can do this. Simply speak what is…, what Krsna has said. That’s all. Don’t make addition, alteration. Then you become rascal. Immediately you become rascal. (Srimad-Bhagavatam Lecture 1.5.29 Vrndavana, August 10, 1974)
THE RASCAL EDITORS (Jayadvaita Swami), THEY ARE DOING HAVOC
Prabhupada: The rascal editors, they are doing havoc.
Yasoda-nandana: Sometimes they appeal that “We can make better English,” so they change like that, just like in the case of Isopanisad. There are over a hundred changes. So where is the need? Your words are sufficient. The potency is there. When they change, it is something else.
Svarupa Damodara: That’s actually a very dangerous mentality.
Yasoda-nandana: What is it going to be in five years? It’s going to be a different book.
Prabhupada: So you… What you are going… It is very serious situation. You write one letter that “Why you have made so many changes?” And whom to write? Who will care? All rascals are there. Write to Satsvarupa that “This is the position. They are doing anything and everything at their whim.” The next printing should be again to the original way.
Tamala Krsna: They should have a board of Satsvarupa and Jayadvaita.
Tamala Krsna: Those two men are both in Los Angeles now.
Prabhupada: So write them immediately that “The rascal editors, they are doing havoc, and they are being maintained by Ramesvara and party.” (S.P.Conversation, “Rascal Editors,”June 22, 1977, Vrndavana)
Prabhupada: Change of government… Just like they say, a change of theories by the rascals. Change means rascal.
Harikesa: But as soon as a government changes…
Prabhupada: Anything change means it is the domain of rascals, pandemonium. Just like in Manu-samhita it is said that, nasyam svatantratam arhati, women should not be given independence. Once said, that is fact. If you want to change, you suffer. That’s all. (S.P. Morning Walk December 14, 1975, New Delhi)
DON’T SURRENDER YOUR INTELLIGENCE
“A devotee should have intelligence to know who is deviating. Surrender by your intelligence but don’t surrender your intelligence.” (SP to Bali Mardana, 1974)
IF YOU WORSHIP A RASCAL, THEN YOUR LIFE IS SPOILED
Now, Canakya Pandita gives three things, formula, “If you want to be fortunate, then do these three things.” What is that? Murkha yatra na pujyante: “Do not give any credit to the rascal.” That is first qualification. Don’t be carried away by the rascal. Murkha yatra na pujyante. If you worship a rascal, then your life is spoiled. You must worship a really learned representative of God. That is very good. (Srimad-Bhagavatam 6.1.31 San Francisco, July 16, 1975)
FALSE ACARYAS, KALI-YUGA DISCIPLES AND PSEUDO-VAISHNAVAS WITHIN ISKCON
“There are many jealous people in the dress of Vaishnavas in this Krishna Consciousness movement, and they should be completely neglected. A false acarya may try to override a vaishnava by a high-court decision, (2/3 hand vote) but Bhaktivinoda Thakura says that he is nothing but a disciple of Kali-yuga.”.
“Bhaktivinoda Thakura says, Kali-cela. He indicates that there are other Vaishnavas, pseudo-Vaishnavas, with tilaka on their nose and kunti beads around their neck. Such a pseudo-Vaishnava associates with money and women and is jealous of successful Vaishnavas. Although passing for a Vaishnava, his only business is earning money in the dress of a Vaishnava”. (CC.Madhy.,Ch.1, Text 218 / 220, purport)
PSEUDO GURUS IN THE GARB OF RELIGIOUS PROPAGANDISTS
The pseudo religionists have neither knowledge nor detachment from material affairs, for most of them want to live in the golden shackles of material bondage under the shadow of philanthropic activities disguised as religious principles. By a false display of religious sentiments, they present a show of devotional service while indulging in all sorts of immoral activities. In this way they pass as spiritual masters and devotees of God. Such violators of religious principles have no respect for the authoritative acaryas, the holy teachers in the strict disciplic succession.
THEY IGNORE THE VEDIC INJUNCTION ACARYOPASANA–”ONE MUST WORSHIP THE ACARYA”–and Krsna’s statement in the Bhagavad-gita (4.2) evam parampara-praptam, “This supreme science of God is received through the disciplic succession.” Instead, to mislead the people in general they themselves become so-called acaryas, but they do not even follow the principles of the acaryas. These rogues are the most dangerous elements in human society. Because there is no religious government, they escape punishment by the law of the state. They cannot, however, escape the law of the Supreme, who has clearly declared in the Bhagavad-gita that envious demons in the garb of religious propagandists shall be thrown into the darkest regions of hell (Isopanisad 12)
SRI ISOPANISAD CONFIRMS THAT THESE PSEUDO RELIGIONISTS ARE HEADING TOWARD THE MOST OBNOXIOUS PLACE IN THE UNIVERSE AFTER THE COMPLETION OF THEIR SPIRITUAL MASTER BUSINESS, WHICH THEY CONDUCT SIMPLY FOR SENSE GRATIFICATION. (Bg.16.19-20)
(Note: they do NOT recognise the superior unique position of Prabhupada, acarya gives diksa to madhyam adhikari see antya lila 4.192-194) therefore competition envy of Prabhupada leads to splicing tapes and concoction of 2\3 majority voted “guru” BUSINESS FRANCHISE club.)
Arrogance, pride, anger, conceit, harshness and ignorance–these qualities belong to those of demoniac nature, O son of Prtha. (Bg 16.4)
“In this verse, the royal road to hell is described. The demoniac want to make a show of religion and advancement in spiritual science, although they do not follow the principles. They are always arrogant and proud in possessing some type of education or so much wealth. THEY DESIRE TO BE WORSHIPED BY OTHERS, AND DEMAND RESPECTABILITY, ALTHOUGH THEY DO NOT COMMAND RESPECT. Over trifles they become very angry and speak harshly, not gently. THEY DO NOT KNOW WHAT SHOULD BE DONE AND WHAT SHOULD NOT BE DONE. THEY DO EVERYTHING WHIMSICALLY, ACCORDING TO THEIR OWN DESIRE, AND THEY DO NOT RECOGNIZE ANY AUTHORITY. These demoniac qualities are taken on by them from the beginning of their bodies in the wombs of their mothers, and as they grow they manifest all these inauspicious qualities.” (Bg 16.4 Pp.)
Jackals who imitate Prabhupada’s unique position of being worshiped as acarya (as good as God) who want their photos put on alter and their socks worhiped MUST be exposed—-Prabhupada’s order.
So the washerman kept the dye water in a big tub, and the jackal fell in it. So jackal fell in it; he became blue, all blue. So he fled away, and all the animals said, “What is this animal? What is the animal? What is that animal? Oh?” All, even lion became surprised. “We have not seen this.” “So who are you, sir?” “I am sent by God to rule over you.” “Oh?” So they began to worship him as God, as leader. Then one day other jackals, they were crying, “Wa, wa,” but the jackals cannot stop. If others jackals cry, the jackal cannot stop. So he also began to “Wa, wa.” Oh, then, they, oh, this rascal is a jackal. Yävat kiïcin na bhäñate. That these rascals are jackals. Now they are talking nonsense. We can detect that “Here is a jackal.” (730503mw.la)
SO WE HAVE TO EXPOSE THEM. THEY ARE NOT LEADER; THEY ARE JACKALS. SO JACKALS CANNOT ANYMORE RULE OVER. THAT SHOULD BE OUR PROPAGANDA. NOT ONLY SCIENTIFIC, ALL POLITICAL THINGS, SOCIAL THINGS, EVERYTHING.
THE RASCAL GODBROTHERS
So these rascals, Godbrothers, they are envious. ( Room Conversation with Reporter of The Star October 16, 1975, Johannesburg)
The whole situation has been spoiled by these so-called rascal gurus who gives his own opinion. (Lecture: What is a Guru? London, August 22, 1973)
The rascal editors (Jayadvaita Swami), they are doing havoc (S.P.Conversation, “Rascal Editors,”June 22, 1977, Vrndavana)
“Do not give any credit to the rascal”. “Don’t be carried away by the rascal” “If you worship a rascal, then your life is spoiled” (Srimad-Bhagavatam 6.1.31 San Francisco, July 16, 1975)
THEY ARE DRESSING LIKE VAISNAVA, AND THEY ARE SO ENVIOUS
There are similarly men also. Unnecessarily they are envious, offensive, unnecessary. They cannot tolerate others’ opulence. Just like our Godbrothers. They are envious. What I have done to them? I am doing my business, trying to serve my Guru Maharaja. But they are envious because I am so opulent. I have got so much fame, so many influence, so much influence all over the world. Everyone is praising me about… That is ignorance. And this is regrettable because they are posing themselves as Vaisnava. Ordinary man can do that, but they are dressing like Vaisnava, and they are so envious. That Tirtha Maharaja, unnecessarily he was envious, whole life fighting, fighting, fighting in the court and died. Simply planning. (S.P. Room Conversation January 8, 1977, Bombay)
THEY ARE NOT EVEN ORDINARY HUMAN BEING
Krsna sakti vina nahe krsna name pracara: “Without Krsna’s special power of attorney, nobody can preach His name.” Caitanya-caritamrta. So these rascals, Godbrothers, they are envious that… What he has written? Bon Maharaja. Just see what kind of men they are. They are not even ordinary human being. They are envious of me, and what to speak of make a judgment by estimation? They’re envious. Enviousness is immediately disqualification of Vaisnava, immediate. He is not a human being. Paramo nirmatsaranam satam. This Bhagavatam is meant for the person who is completely not envious. That is the beginning. Why a Vaisnava should be envious for anyone? Everyone is working according to his karma. He is trying to rectify him, that “Be out of these clutches of karma. You come to bhakti.” Why he should be envious? Vancha-kalpatarubhyas ca krpa-sindhubhya eva ca.
A Vaisnava should be like ocean of mercy to reclaim the fallen souls. That is Vaisnava’s qualification. So Vaisnava should be envious? Just see. So these persons, they are not even human being, what to speak of Vaisnava. Vaisnava cannot be envious. Vaisnava should be: “Oh, my Lord’s name is being broadcast. He is getting, giving so much service to make Krsna known.” That man has appreciated, that “All these spiritual leaders, they are deriding. You are the only man… You are… It enthuses us, give us more encouragement, that you are keeping intact, love of Krsna.” This is an appreciation. Why he should be envious? He should be, rather, very much enthused that “This single man is keeping Krsna all over the world.”
And everyone is deriding. Even Gandhi is killing Krsna. Dr. Radhakrishnan is killing. Their only business is to kill Krsna. He is also doing that, our, this Bon Maharaja. He never speaks of Krsna. His rascal, that Institute of Indian Philosophy, nobody goes to urine(?) there. We see practically. And our temple is always filled up, five hundred men. And he is trying for the last forty years. He is simply planning: “This will be playground. This will be this ground. This will be this ground.” And it is becoming jungle. Still, he is so envious, black snake. So one circular letter should be issued to all our center, that “Any Bon Maharaja or anyone, his representative, should not be received.” They are envious. Yes. Quoting that. We have got several complaints like that. Satsvarupa also complained. Sometimes our order was cancelled by Bon Maharaja’s propaganda. ( Room Conversation with Reporter of The Star October 16, 1975, Johannesburg)
PRABHUPADA: SO THEY MAY KILL ME ALSO
Prabhupada: This is our position. Gradually they will show Hare Krsna movement. In India also, although India’s… They will want to crush down this movement. So this will be up to Him. Krsna or Krsna’s movement, the same thing. And Krsna was attempted to be killed by Kamsa class of men and his company, the demons. So it will be there; it is already there. Don’t be disappointed, because that is the meaning that it is successful. Krsna’s favor is there, because Krsna and Krsna’s movement is not different, nondiff…, identical. So as Krsna was attempted to be killed, many, many years before He appeared… At eighth child, if the mother produces child yearly, still ten years, eight years before His birth, the mother was to be attempted to be killed. So there may be attempt like that. And Lord Jesus Christ was killed. So they may kill me also. (S.P.Room Conversation May 3, 1976, Honolulu) Note: Srila Prabhupada says there may be an attempt to kill him or his movement. If we look earlier in the conversation he actually says the attempt will be there.
THERE IS NOTHING ASTONISHING ABOUT THIS, THE DEMONIAC CAN KILL ANYONE FOR THEIR NEFARIOUS AMBITIONS
This action of Kamsa is not very difficult to understand. There are many instances in the history of the world of persons in the royal order who have killed father, brother, or a whole family and friends for the satisfaction of their ambitions. There is nothing astonishing about this, for the demoniac can kill anyone for their nefarious ambitions. (KRSNA BOOK CHAPTER ONE- Advent of Lord Krsna)
Srila Prabhupada: the may kill me
“So there may be attempt like that. And Lord Jesus Christ was killed. So they may kill me also. So it will be there; it is already there” “Someone says that I’ve been poisoned. It is possible.” (S.P.Room Convers. May 3, 1976, Honolulu and Nov. 9, 1977, Vrindavana)
Srila Prabhupada: “someone has poisoned me.” ( S.P.Room Conversation November 10, 1977, Vrndavana )
The demoniac have killed our eternal father Srila Prabhupada and his ISKCON family for the satisfaction of their ambitions. There is nothing astonishing about this for the demoniac can kill anyone for their nefarious ambitions. They are now in the process of killing him again by changing the divine message contained in his original transcendental books. Even though we may have to face many dangers, let us fight to save Srila Prabhupada’s pure instructions, which are no different than himself.
We cannot reform Iskcons demoniac elements, and we might not have the power to start a new mission, but we just have to work together to keep Srila Prabhupada in the center as the Acarya, and see to it that his original pre 1977 Books are printed and distributed.
YOU MUST WORSHIP A REALLY LEARNED REPRESENTATIVE OF GOD
You must worship a really learned representative of God. That is very good. (Srimad-Bhagavatam 6.1.31 San Francisco, July 16, 1975)
A serious disciple must be alert when selecting a bona fide spiritual master. He must be sure that the spiritual master can deliver all the transcendental necessities. The spiritual master must observe how inquisitive the disciple is and how eager he is to understand the transcendental subject matter. . . . (Cc. Ch. 24, Txt 330)
PRABHUPADA: WHO IS GURU?
When one has attained the topmost position of maha-bhagavata, he is to be accepted as a guru and worshiped exactly like Hari, the Personality of Godhead. ONLY such a person is eligible to occupy the post of a guru.
The guru must be situated on the topmost platform of devotional service. There are three classes of devotees, and the guru must be accepted from the topmost class. (Cc. Ch. 24, Txt 330)
(Note how carefully Prabhupada gives this instructions of worshiping the ACARYA against business men spiritual masters and religious propagandists)
The first-class devotee is the spiritual master for all kinds of people. It is said: gurur nrnam. The word nrnam means “of all human beings.” The guru is not limited to a particular group. It is stated in the Upadesamrta of Rupa Gosvami that a guru is a gosvami, a controller of the senses and the mind. Such a guru can accept disciples from all over the world. Prthivim sa sisyat. This is the test of the guru. . . The maha-bhagavata is one who decorates his body with tilaka and whose name indicates him to be a servant of Krsna by the word dasa. He is also initiated by a bona fide spiritual master and is expert in worshiping the Deity, chanting mantras correctly, performing sacrifices, offering prayers to the Lord, and performing sankirtana. He knows how to serve the Supreme Personality of Godhead and how to respect a Vaisnava. When one has attained the topmost position of maha-bhagavata, he is to be accepted as a guru and worshiped exactly like Hari, the Personality of Godhead.
Only such a person is eligible to occupy the post of a guru. However, if one is highly qualified but is not a Vaisnava, he cannot be accepted as a guru. One cannot be a brahmana unless one is a Vaisnava. If one is a Vaisnava, he is already a brahmana. If a guru is completely qualified as a Vaisnava, he must be accepted as a brahmana even if he is not born in a brahmana family. The caste system method of distinguishing a brahmana by birth is not acceptable when applied to a bona fide spiritual master. A spiritual master is a qualified brahmana and acarya. If one is not a qualified brahmana, he is not expert in studying Vedic literatures. Nana-sastra-vicaranaika-nipunau. Every Vaisnava is a spiritual master, and a spiritual master is automatically expert in brahminical behavior. He also understands the Vedic sastras. . . As far as the mutual testing of the spiritual master and disciple is concerned, Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura explains that a bona fide disciple must be very inquisitive to understand the transcendental subject matter.
ONLY uttama-adhikari actually delivers. ( SB 2.8.7)
Thus one who is not well versed in the authorized scriptures and not able to answer all such relevant inquiries should not pose as a spiritual master for the matter of material gain. IT IS ILLEGAL TO BECOME A SPIRITUAL MASTER IF ONE IS UNABLE TO DELIVER THE DISCIPLE. (Cc. Madhya 16.74)
“If one is expert in Vedic literature and has full faith in the Supreme Lord, then he is AN UTTAMA-ADHIKARI, A FIRST-CLASS VAISNAVA, A TOPMOST VAISNAVA WHO CAN DELIVER THE WHOLE WORLD AND TURN EVERYONE TO KRSNA CONSCIOUSNESS.” (Cc. Madhya 22.65)
Prabhupada distributed the holy name (in his books) throughout the world this is the potency of Uttama-adhikari. HE is mentioned in this paragraph here—the ACARYA who delivers.
Uttama-adhikari not so cheap.
NoD 17 Ecstatic Love
By the process of executing regulated devotional service, one is actually elevated onto THE TRANSCENDENTAL STAGE, BEYOND THE MATERIAL MODES OF NATURE. At that time one’s heart becomes illuminated like the sun. The sun is far above the planetary systems, and there is no possibility of its being covered by any kind of cloud; similarly, when a devotee is purified like the sun, from his pure heart there is a diffusion of ecstatic love which is more glorious than the sunshine. Only at that time is the attachment to Krsna perfect.
SPONTANEOUSLY, THE DEVOTEE BECOMES EAGER TO SERVE THE LORD IN HIS ECSTATIC LOVE. AT THIS STAGE THE DEVOTEE IS ON THE PLATFORM OF UTTAMA-ADHIKARI, PERFECT DEVOTION. SUCH A DEVOTEE HAS NO AGITATION FROM MATERIAL AFFECTIONS and is interested only in the service of Radha and Krsna.
“In Dvapara-yuga, devotees of Lord Visnu and Krsna rendered devotional service according to the principles of pancaratrika. In this Age of Kali, the Supreme Personality of Godhead is worshiped simply by the chanting of His holy names.» Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura then comments:
“WITHOUT BEING EMPOWERED BY THE DIRECT POTENCY OF LORD KRSNA TO FULFILL HIS DESIRE AND WITHOUT BEING SPECIFICALLY FAVORED BY THE LORD, NO HUMAN BEING CAN BECOME THE SPIRITUAL MASTER OF THE WHOLE WORLD.
He certainly cannot succeed by mental concoction, which is not meant for devotees or religious people.
ONLY AN EMPOWERED PERSONALITY CAN DISTRIBUTE THE HOLY NAME OF THE LORD AND ENJOIN ALL FALLEN SOULS TO WORSHIP KRSNA. BY DISTRIBUTING THE HOLY NAME OF THE LORD, HE CLEANSES THE HEARTS OF THE MOST FALLEN PEOPLE; THEREFORE HE EXTINGUISHES THE BLAZING FIRE OF THE MATERIAL WORLD. NOT ONLY THAT, HE BROADCASTS THE SHINING BRIGHTNESS OF KRSNA’S EFFULGENCE THROUGHOUT THE WORLD. SUCH AN ACARYA, OR SPIRITUAL MASTER, SHOULD BE CONSIDERED NONDIFFERENT FROM KRSNA-THAT IS, HE SHOULD BE CONSIDERED THE INCARNATION OF LORD KRSNA’S POTENCY.
Such a personality is krsnalingita-vigraha-that is, he is always embraced by the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krsna. Such a person is above the considerations of the varnasrama institution.
HE IS THE GURU OR SPIRITUAL MASTER FOR THE ENTIRE WORLD, A DEVOTEE ON THE TOPMOST PLATFORM, THE MAHA-BHAGAVATA STAGE, AND A PARAMAHAMSA-THAKURA, A SPIRITUAL FORM ONLY FIT TO BE ADDRESSED AS PARAMAHAMSA OR THAKURA.”
DISCIPLIC SUCCESSION OF ACARYAS — SRILA PRABHUPADA IS THE CURRENT ACARYA.
In Bhagavad-gita, Thirteenth Chapter, it is clearly stated that one should execute devotional service and advance on the path of spiritual knowledge by accepting the acarya. ACARYOPASANAM: ONE SHOULD WORSHIP AN ACARYA, a spiritual master who knows things as they are. The spiritual master must be in the disciplic succession from Krsna. THE PREDECESSORS OF THE SPIRITUAL MASTER ARE HIS SPIRITUAL MASTER, HIS GRAND SPIRITUAL MASTER, HIS GREAT-GRAND SPIRITUAL MASTER AND SO ON, WHO FORM THE DISCIPLIC SUCCESSION OF ACARYAS.
It is recommended herewith that all the acaryas be given the highest respect. It is stated, gurusu nara-matih. GURUSU MEANS “UNTO THE ACARYAS,” and nara-matih means “thinking like a common man.” To think of the Vaisnavas, the devotees, as belonging to a particular caste or community, to think of the acaryas as ordinary men or to think of the Deity in the temple as being made of stone, wood or metal, IS CONDEMNED.
In this connection the Padma Purana states, arcye visnau sila-dhir gurusu nara-matir vaisnave jati-buddhih: “One who considers the arca-murti, the worshipable Deity of Lord Visnu, to be stone, THE SPIRITUAL MASTER TO BE AN ORDINARY HUMAN BEING, and a Vaisnava to belong to a particular caste or creed, is possessed of HELLISH INTELLIGENCE.” One who follows such conclusions is doomed.
Who is Guru
Qualifications of the Spiritual Master
Srila Prabhupada talks with a journalist about:
RASCALS, BLUFFERS and SHOW-BOTTLE SPIRITUALISTS
Late in 1968, in Los Angeles, His Divine Grace A.C.Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada,
Founder and Acarya of the International Society for Krsna Consciousness, granted a magazine interview.
- Journalist: I think an awful lot of our readers, and an awful lot of people in the United States, are terribly confused with the many people who claim to be Gurus and gods and who pop up in this country, one after the other, after the other, and they say that…
- Srila Prabhupada: “I can declare that they are all nonsense”
- Journalist: I wonder if you could elaborate on that a little bit.
- Srila Prabhupada: I can say, furthermore, they’re all rascals.
- Journalist: For example, the famous one who sells meditation mantras?
- Srila Prabhupada: HE is Rascal number one. I say it publicly.
- Journalist: Could you explain, give me a little background on that and why, because our readers…
- Srila Prabhupada: From his behaviour I can understand he is rascal number one. I do not want to know about him, but what he has done makes it obvious. But the wonderful thing is that people in the Western countries are supposed to be so advanced-how they are befooled by these rascals?
- Journalist: Well, I think that people are looking for something, and he comes along…
- Srila Prabhupada: Yes, but they want something very cheap-that is their fault. Now, for our disciples, we don’t give anything cheap. Our first condition is character-moral character. You see? Unless one is strictly following moral principles, we don’t initiate him, we don’t allow him in this institution. And this so-called guru has been telling people, “Just do whatever you like. You simply pay me thirty-five dollars, and I’ll give you a mantra.” You see? So people want to be cheated, and so many cheaters come. People do not wish to undergo any discipline. They have got money, so they think, “We shall pay and immediately we’ll get whatever we want.”
- Journalist: Instand heaven.
- Srila Prabhupada: Yes. That is their foolishness.
- Journalist: Let me ask you-I have my opinion, but let me ask you-Why do you feel that the younger people today are turning more and more toward the Eastern-oriented religions?
- Srila Prabhupada: Because your materialistic way of life no longer satisfies them. In America, especially, you have got enough for enjoyment. You have got enough food, enough women, enough wine, enough houses-enough of everything. But still you have confusion and dissatisfaction-more in your country than in India, which is said to be poverty-stricken. But you’ll find in India that although they are poverty-stricken, they are continuing their old spiritual culture. So the people are not as disturbed. This shows that material advancement alone cannot give one satisfaction. So it is necessary now that people should take to spiritual life. That will make them happy. All these people-they are in darkness. There is no hope. They do not know where they are going; they have no aim. But when you are spiritually situated, you know what you are doing and where you are going. Everything is clear.
- Journalist: In other words, you feel that the Western-oriented church, whether it be a synagogue or a church or whatever-has failed to present spiritual life. Would you say that their message is not relevant? Or is it that they have failed to present their message properly?
- Srila Prabhupada: Take the bible. It was spoken long, long ago in the desert. These people were not very advanced. So at that time, in the Old Testament, it was sufficient to say, “There is a God, and God created the world. “That is a fact. But now people are scientifically advanced, and they want to know in detail how the creation has taken place. You see? And that detailed, scientific explanation is not there in the Bible. And the church can’t give any more than that. Therefore people are not satisfied. Simply officially going to the church and offering prayers does not appeal to them. Besides that, the so called religious leaders are not following even the most basic religious principles. For instance, in the Old Testament there are the Ten Commandments, and one commandment is “Thou shalt not kill. “But killing is very prominent in the Christian world. The religious leaders are sanctioning slaughterhouses, and they have manufactured a theory that animals have no soul. “give the dog a bad name and hang it,” So when we ask, “Why are you committing this sinful act of killing?” the priests refuse to discuss the matter. Everyone is silent. That means they are deliberately disobeying the Ten Commandments. So where are religious principles? It is plainly stated, “Thou shalt not kill”. Why are they killing? How do you answer?
- Journalist: Are you asking me?
- Srila Prabhupada: Yes
- Journalist: Well “Thou shalt not kill” is obviously an ethic…and its timeless, and it’s valid. But man is not really interested…
- Srila Prabhupada: Yes, that’s right. They are not really interested in religion. It is simply show-bottle. If you do not follow the regulative principles, then where is your religion?
- Journalist: I’m not arguing with you. I couldn’t agree with you more. I’m in total agreement. It doesn’t make any sense. “Thou shalt not kill.” “Thou shalt worship no other gods before Me.” “thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s goods.” “Thou shalt honour thy father and thy mother.”… Those are beautiful-
- Srila Prabhupada: “Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife” -but who is following this?
- Journalist: Very few.
- Srila Prabhupada: So how can they say they’re religious? And without religion, human society is animal society.
- Journalist: All right, but let me ask you this. How does your interpretation differ from the basic Judeo-Christian ethic of the Ten Commandments?
- Srila Prabhupada: There is no difference. But as I have told you, none of them are strictly following the Ten Commandments. So I simply say, “Please follow God’s commandments.” That is my message.
- Journalist: In other words, you’re asking them to obey those principles
- Srila Prabhupada: Yes. I don’t say that Christians should become Hindu. I simply say, “Please obey your Commandments.” I’ll make you a better Christian. That is my mission. I don’t say, “Obey God.” I dont say, “God is not your tradition-God is only here in ours.” I simply say, “Obey God.” I don’t say, “You have to accept that Gods name is Krsna and no other. “No I say “Please obey God. Please try to love God.”
- Journalist: Let me put it this way. If your mission and the mission of the Western Judeo-Christian ethic are the same, again let me ask, why is it that the younger people, or people in general, are disenchanted, are trying to go toward the Eastern-oriented religions? Why are they going toward the Eastern if both are the same?
- Srila Prabhupada: Because Judaism and Christianity are not teaching them practically. I am teaching them practically.
- Journalist: In other words, You’re teaching them what you feel is practical, everyday method for attaining this fulfilment of man’s spirit.
- Srila Prabhupada: Love of Godhead is being taught both in the Bible and in the Bhagavad-gita. But today’s religionists are not actually teaching how to love God. I am teaching people how to love God-that is the difference. Therefore, young people are attracted.
- Journalist: All right. So the end is the same, but it’s the method of getting there that’s different?
- Srila Prabhupada: No-the end is the same and the method is also the same. But these so-called religious leaders are not teaching people to follow the method. I am teaching them practically how to follow it.
- Journalist: Let me ask you something that we’ve run into a great deal just recently. The biggest problem holding men and women back from love of God and following the Ten Commandments is the problem-how should I put it?-well the sexual problem. Now I’m stating something thats obvious. We’ve all gone though this.
- Srila Prabhupada: Yes, everyone.
- Journalist: And there is nothing in Western culture or religion that teaches or helps a young person to cope with this difficult problem. I went though it. We all have. Now do you, in your message, give the young people something to hang on to? And if so, what?
- Srila Prabhupada: I ask my disciples to get married. I don’t allow this nonsense of boys living with girl friends. No. “You must get yourself married and live like a gentleman.”
- Journalist: Well, let me get a little more basic. How about when one is fourteen-fifteen-sixteen years old?
- Srila Prabhupada: One thing is that we teach our boys how to become (brahmacari)-how to live the life of celibacy, how to control their senses. In Vedic culture, marriage generally doesn’t take place until the boy is about twenty-four or twenty-five and the girl is about sixteen or seventeen. And because they are experiencing the spiritual pleasure of Krsna consciousness, they are not simply interested in sex life. So we don’t say “don’t mix with women,” or ,”Stop sex life.” But we regulate everything under the higher principle of Krsna Consciousness. In this way everything goes nicely.
- Journalist: So your disciples don’t just bite their tongue or their lip and say, “I won’t touch her (or him).”There is a substitute?
- Srila Prabhupada Yes, a higher taste. That is Krsna Consciousness. And it is working: I’m already teaching Western men and women how to control their sexual impulse. My disciples that you see here are all Americans. They are not imported from India.
- Journalist: One thing I want to know is what you think about people like this famous Mantra-selling Guru, who turned me off and so many other people. My daughter was very involved in that kind of thing for awhile. She’s terribly disillusioned.
- Srila Prabhupada: The psychology is that the Western people, especially youngsters, are hankering after spiritual life. Now, if somebody comes to me and says, “Svamiji, initiate me, ” I immediately say, “You have to follow these four principles-no meat-eating, no gambling, no intoxication, and no illicit sex.” Many go away. But this mantra seller-he did not put any restrictions. That’s just like a physician who says, “You can do whatever you like; you simply take my medicine and you’ll be cured. “That physician will be very popular.
- Journalist: Yes, He’ll kill a lot of people, but he’ll be very will liked.
- Srila Prabhupada: Yes, (Laughs). And a real Physician say’s, “You cannot do that. You cannot eat this. “This is a botheration for people. They want something very cheap. Therefore the cheaters come and cheat them. They take the opportunity–because people want to be cheated. “Oh, let us take advantage!” You see? So the rascals advise people, You are God — everyone is God. You just have to realize yourself-you have simply forgotten. You take this mantra, and you’ll become god. You’ll become powerful. There is no need to control the senses. You can drink. You can have unrestricted sex life and whatever you like. People like this. “Oh, simply by fifteen minutes meditation I shall become God, and I have to pay only thirty-five dollars. “Many millions of people will be ready to do it. For Americans, thirty-five dollars is not very much. But multiplied by a million, it becomes thirty-five million dollars. [Laughs.] We cannot bluff like that. We say that if you actually want spiritual life, you have to follow the restrictions. The commandment is, “You shall not kill.” So I shall not say, Yes, you can kill-the animal has no feeling, the animal has no soul .”We cannot bluff in this way, you see.
- Journalist: This kind of thing has disenchanted an awful lot of young people.
- Srila Prabhupada: So please try to help us. This movement is very nice. It will help your country. It will help the whole human society. It is a genuine movement. We are not bluffing or cheating. It is authorized
- Journalist: Authorized by whom?
- Srila Prabhupada Authorized by Krsna, God. In India this Krsna consciousness philosophy has millions and millions of followers — eighty percent of the population If you ask any Indian he will be able to tell you so many things about Krsna Consciousness.
- Journalist: Do you really think, from a very practical standpoint, that your movement has a chance to make it here in America?
- Srila Prabhupada: From what I’ve seen it has a great chance. We don’t say “give up your religion and come to us.” We say, “At least follow your own principles. And then if you want to, study with us. “Sometimes it happens that although students have received their M.A. degree, they go to foreign universities to study more. Why does it happen? They want more enlightenment. Similarly, any religious scripture you may follow will give you enlightenment. But if you find more in this Krsna consciousness movement, then why should you not accept it? If you are serious about god, why should you say, Oh, “I am Christian,” “I am Jewish,” “I cannot attend your meeting”? If I am speaking about God, what objection can you have?
- Journalist: Well I couldn’t agree with you more.
- Srila Prabhupada: I am prepared to talk with any God conscious man. Let us chalk out a program so that people may be benefited. But they want to go on in their stereotyped way. If we see that by following a particular type of religious principle one is developing love of God, that is first-class religion. But if one is merely developing his love for mammon, then what kind of religion is that?
- Journalist: Right you are.
- Srila Prabhupada: That is our test-you have to develop love for GOD. we don’t say that you must follow Christianity, or Muhammadanism, or Judaism, or Hinduism. We simply look to see whether you are developing your love of Godhead. But they say, “Who is God? I am God.” you see? Everyone is taught nowadays that everyone is God.
- Journalist: Have you seen pictures of a smiling man with a moustache and a pushed-in nose? Before he died, he said he was God.
- Srila Prabhupada: He was God? He was another rascal. Just see-this is going on. He was making propaganda that he was God. That means that people do not know what God is. Suppose I come to you and say that I am the President of the United States. Will you accept me?
- Journalist: [Laughs] No, I don’t think I would.
- Srila Prabhupada: These rascals! The people are accepting them as God because they do not know what god is—that is the problem.
- Journalist; It’s just absolutely absurd that somebody comes along and tells you he’s God.
- Srila Prabhupada: But whoever accepts him as God is just as much a rascal. The man who says he’s God-he’s rascal number one. He’s a cheater. And the man who is cheated-he’s also a rascal. He doses not know what God is. He thinks that God is so cheap that you can find Him in the marketplace.
- Journalist: Of course, the Western concept is that man is created in the image of God, Consequently, God must look somewhat like man.
- Srila Prabhupada: You have got so many scientists. So just find out what the actual image of God is, what His form is really like. Where is that department? You have got so many departments, research department, technology department. But where is that department that researches what God is? Is there any such department of knowledge?
- Journalist: There’s no God department working tonight-I’ll tell you that right now.
- Srila Prabhupada: That is the difficulty. But the Krsna consciousness movement is the department of how to know God. If you study with us, then you’ll not accept any rascals as God. You’ll accept only God as God. We are teaching about another nature beyond this material nature. This material nature is coming into existence and again dissolving, but God and His Spiritual nature are eternal. We living entities are also eternal-with out any end or any beginning. This Krsna consciousness movement is teaching how we can transfer ourselves to that eternal, spiritual nature where God is residing.
- Journalist: That’s man’s quest.
- Srila Prabhupada: Yes, that is the quest. Everyone is trying to be happy, because that is the living entity’s prerogative. He is meant by nature to be happy, but he does not know where he can be happy. He is trying to be happy in a place where there are four miserable conditions-namely birth, old age, disease, and death. The scientists are trying to be happy and make other people happy. But what scientist has stopped old age, disease, death, and rebirth? Has any scientist succeeded?
- Journalist: I don’t think so.
Srila Prabhupada: So what is this? Why do they not consider, “We have made so much improvement, but what improvement have we made in theses four areas? They have not made any, and still they are very much proud of their advancement in education and technology. But the four primary miseries remain as they are. You see? The scientists may have made advancements in medicine, but is there any remedy that can allow us to claim, “Now there is no more disease”? Is there any such remedy? No. So then what is the scientists’ advancement? Rather, disease is increasing in so many new forms. They have invented nuclear weapons. What good is that? Simply for killing. Have they invented something so that no more men will die? That would be to their credit. But people are dying at every moment, and the scientist have simply invented something to accelerate their death. That is all. Is that to their credit? So there is still no solution to death. And they are trying to stop overpopulation. But where is their solution? Every minute the population is increasing by three persons. These are the statistics. So there is no solution for birth. There is no solution for death. There is no solution for old age. Even a great scientist like Professor Einstein had to undergo old age and death. Why could he not stop old age? Everyone is trying to remain youthful, but what is the process? The scientist do not care to solve this problem-because it is beyond their means. They are giving some kind of bluff, that’s all. But Krsna Consciousness is the solution, and the whole thing is described in Bhagavad-gita. Let them try to understand it. At least let them make an experiment. (His Divine Grace A.C.Bhaktivedanta Swami, Late in 1968)
What will happen to the movement when you die?
Reporter (2): What will happen to the movement in the United States when you die?
Prabhupada: I WILL NEVER DIE.
Devotees: Jaya! Hari bol! (laughter)
Prabhupada: I SHALL LIVE From MY BOOKS, AND YOU WILL UTILIZE.
Reporter (2): Are you training a successor?
Prabhupada: Yes, my Guru Maharaja is there. Where is my photo of Guru Maharaja? I think… Here is.
He reasons ill who tells that Vaishnavas die
When thou are living still in sound.
The Vaishnavas die to live
and living try to Spread a holy life around!
Indian Lady: … is that spiritual master still guiding after death?
Srila Prabhupada:Yes, yes. Just like Krsna is guiding us, similarly spiritual master will guide us. (General lectures, 69/09/23)
Devotee: Srila Prabhupada when you’re not present with us , how is it possible to receive instructions? For example in questions that may arise…
SRILA PRABHUPADA: Well the questions are answ… answers are there in my books.
(Morning Walk, Los Angeles, 13/5/73)
So utilise whatever time you find to make a thorough study of my books. Then all your questions will be answered. (Letter to Upendra, 7/1/76)
Every one of you must regularly read our books at least twice, in the morning and evening, and automatically all questions will be answered. ( Letter to Randhira, 24/01/70)
If I depart there is no cause for lamentation. I will always be with you through my books and orders. I will always remain with you in that way. (BTG 13:1-2, December 1977)
74-11-22 Letter: Bahurupa
In my books the philosophy of Krishna Consciousness is EXPLAINED FULLY so if there is anything which you do not understand, then you simply have to read again and again. By reading daily THE KNOWLEDGE WILL BE REVEALED TO YOU AND BY THIS PROCESS YOUR SPIRITUAL LIFE WILL DEVELOP.
Note: This clearly indicates that Srila Prabhupada’s books are understood through their own potency, and that there is therefore no need for a physically present guru to understand the books. Our Srimad Bhagavatam is unique because the verses of the Bhagavatam are directly complemented with the purports of Srila Prabhupada, who is the bonafide maha-bhagavata ; therefore, the book Bhagavata and the person Bhagavata are combined in Srila Prabhupada’s Srimad Bhagavatam. Therefore, there is no need for a third party, “the so called current Iskcon links” to (mis)interpret what Srila Prabhupada “really means to say”. sic
Prabhupada: So I cannot speak. I am feeling very weak. I was to go to other places like Chandigarh program, but I cancelled the program because the condition of my health is very deteriorating. So I preferred to come to Vrndavana. If death takes place, let it take here. So there is nothing to be said new. Whatever I have to speak, I have spoken in my books. Now you try to understand it and continue your endeavor. Whether I am present or not present, it doesn’t matter.
73-11-25. Letter: Cidananda
I should be returning to Los Angeles the last week of November and I should be more than happy to see you there. Please always try to remember me by my teachings and we shall always be together. Just like I have written in the first publications of Srimad-Bhagavatam, “THE SPIRITUAL MASTER LIVES FOREVER BY HIS DIVINE INSTRUCTION AND THE DISCIPLE LIVES WITH HIM.”, because I have always served my Guru Maharaja and followed His teachings I am now even never separated from Him. Sometimes Maya may come and try to interfere but we must not falter, we must always follow the chalked out path layed down by the great acharya’s and in the end you will see.
Prabhupada: So there is nothing to be said new. Whatever I have to speak, I have spoken in my books. Now you try to understand it and continue your endeavor. Whether I am present or not present, it doesn’t matter.
“I shall remain your personal guidance, physically present or not physically, as I am getting personal guidance from my guru maharaja” (Srila Prabhupada to Tamal Krishna, 14 July 1977)
All glories to His Divine Grace A.C.Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada!